Here’s what you’ll learn in this article:
- Why people cheat and what it means for the future of your relationship.
- How to know if you can trust him after he committed adultery.
- A simple quiz to help you determine if your relationship can be successful after infidelity.
- How to rebuild, heal, and move forward in a relationship after cheating – and stay together.
If you suspect that your partner is currently having an affair, (or has cheated on you in the past), and those suspicions turn out to be confirmed – then you’ll go through a very difficult time…
You love him, but he also hurt you.
Can you ever trust him again?
The same is also true if you were the one who was unfaithful to him.
“Infidelity doesn’t have to leave a lifelong scar. Sometimes you can come out stronger together.”
By asking yourself the right questions. Then it’s easier to determine whether your relationship has a future or not.
Cheating always happens to other people
It often shocks the faithful partner when he or she finds out about the adultery.
“I thought we were fine.”
Yet, the numbers don’t lie.
The chances are that someday you will have to deal with cheating in a relationship.
Research has revealed that 46% of people cheat at some point in their relationships.
Adultery is a significant cause of divorce or breakups
Is there something wrong with your relationship if you happen to fall in love with someone else?
“Infidelity happens to the best of relationships.”
Even if you love your partner you can fall in love with someone else.
Sometimes it happens because of the mundane daily routine that comes with being with the same partner for years. Having children can also take the romance out of the relationship.
But it varies from individual to individual.
- One person is looking for some excitement outside of the relationship.
- Another person for a distraction, and an escape from the daily chores and obligations.
- And sometimes you just don’t feel like being a mother, a father, a perfect housewife, or a partner. And in an affair, you can be whoever you want to be.
Here are the 7 most common reasons for cheating in a relationship:
- Lack of affection
- No longer in love with their partner
Why do men cheat? The reason differs from women
As I mentioned above, the reason for cheating varies.
There are, however, several striking numbers to consider;
According to a study by Rutgers University, 56% of men who cheat are happy in their consisting marriage or relationship.
So, why do men cheat then?
You can read about the 11 true reasons why men cheat here.
But mostly it’s about these two things:
Men cheat for attention and to get laid
Women, on the other hand, often look to fill an emotional void when they start having an affair. And this, according to the study, is even more dangerous for the relationship.
Because that means (in most cases), you’ve completely lost interest in the relationship. But if the reason was just sex, there’s still hope and a much more significant chance to fix the relationship after cheating.
Should I forgive him for cheating?
Your heart is broken. He cheated on you with another woman. How did this happen?
You guys were doing just fine. At least, so it seemed…
Maybe your first reaction is to leave him.
But if you really love him, the decision isn’t that easy. That’s especially true when there are children involved.
Do you throw all that away, or do you give him a second chance to try and rebuild the relationship together?
For some people it’s easy:
Cheating is irreversible and the end of the relationship. Period.
Are you in doubt?
Then here is a simple test that can help you find out if you should forgive him for cheating on you, and if your relationship can be successful after infidelity.
The Quiz: Should You Forgive Him & Can Your Relationship Be Successful After Cheating?
1. How was the quality of your relationship before he was unfaithful?
If your relationship weren’t going well beforehand, the chance of recovery is zero.
2. How intimate was his affair? Was it just physical, or was it more?
If an emotional bond has been formed as well, it means he now has feelings for her and it’s become more than just sex. He might even consider a future together with her.
3. Did he confess about the infidelity himself?
A lot of women find it harder to forgive unfaithfulness if you caught him cheating on you. Then you feel cheated twice.
4. Is he sorry for cheating on you?
And is that because he regrets what happened? The more convincing guilt and remorse, the more likely it is that it won’t happen again, and that you’ll be able to recover from it. This is one of the most important questions in this quiz to help you determine if you should forgive him or not. If he’s not sorry for what he did, it could be a sign that your relationship is over.
5. Are you willing to forgive him for cheating on you?
This sounds logical, but it is not always the case. If you’re not open to forgiveness, it’s pointless.
If you want more in-depth tips on how to forgive him for the infidelity, read this article.
Adultery doesn’t have to be the end of your relationship
When your man has cheated on you, this usually raises very strong emotions.
Talking to each other is often very difficult, and a fight is usually inevitable.
That’s why many couples break up when one partner has been unfaithful.
But fortunately, adultery does not always have to mean the end of your relationship.
How to rebuild, heal, and move forward in a relationship after cheating
The first step towards rebuilding your relationship after cheating is to get him to regain your trust. It’s the only way you’ll be able to stay together.
The reason why infidelity hurts so much is that it comes out of nowhere and makes you question your own judgment.
Think about it…
Your lover has SUDDENLY turned into a liar, an impostor, and someone who knowingly hurt you. In other words, someone you shouldn’t trust.
Here are some tips to help you with the recovery after cheating:
- Read this article with 7 things you should do when your partner has cheated on you.
- Don’t blame yourself.
- Don’t just focus on the cheating incident, but look at all the good things about your relationship.
- And most importantly… Give it time.
- If you’re the one who committed adultery, you need to show him that you’re truly sorry for what you did.
I wish you the best of luck.