In this article you will learn:
- What it means when a man says he doesn’t want a relationship with you.
- The answer to your question, “he is not ready for a relationship, should I wait?”
- 3 possible reasons why he doesn’t want to commit, and what you can do if that’s the case.
- How to know whether a guy is using you for just one thing.
- What to do if he doesn’t want to commit, but you do.
- And much more…
What it means when a man says he doesn’t want a relationship
You’ve been dating a guy for a while. He’s kind to you. He’s nice. And sometimes, he really treats you like you’re his girlfriend.
It’s going really well, and you like to spend time with him. But you want something more: a relationship. Someone to rely on. To feel safe around, so you can be vulnerable and form a deeper connection with him.
And you can tell that he also cares about you. But in what particular way, you have no idea.
Does he see you as a flirt? Does he only want something superficial (sex)? Or does he also want more?
You’ve already carefully tried to find out what he really thinks of you, on more than one occasion.. And you’ve asked him what he tells his friends about you, and how he sees you. But you can’t seem to figure him out.
You are afraid to ask yourself, “Is he using me?”
Even when you invited him to your cousin’s wedding, he had some reason why he couldn’t make it… Until one day when you have “the talk” with him. At first, he somewhat avoids the topic.
He might mumble things like:
- “I just want to see how it goes.”
- “I think it’s best to take things slow.”
- “I don’t want to put any label on it.”
- And my favorite: “Let’s just have fun together and see what happens.”
But after you dig deeper… he finally admits it:
“He doesn’t want a relationship with you”
Yep. He actually said it, and you don’t understand it. He likes you very much and he wants to keep seeing you. At least, so he says.
But he doesn’t want you to be his girlfriend.
Then he comes up with a proposal: He’s not into relationships but likes to see you. Or another way of putting it, he doesn’t want anything serious, except keep having sex with you.
In other words, he wants everything… except having a real relationship with you.
So essentially a friends with benefits (FWB) relationship.
You begin to wonder if there’s something going on:
- Why doesn’t he want me?
- Does he still have feelings for his ex, or is it someone else?
- Does he have commitment issues?
- Doesn’t he like you as much as you thought?
- Why does he want to be free to see other people?
- Are you not good enough?
- Or is it something else completely?
All these mixed feelings from him… It’s driving you crazy.
You want to be with him… And not only that, but you also want him wanting to be with you.
But he has reasons why he doesn’t want to commit…
Of course, he has reasons why he doesn’t a relationship with you. It could be that:
- His previous relationship just ended.
- His ex treated him very badly.
- Experience tells him it’s less fun when he’s in a relationship.
- He wants to put his career first.
- Or some other excuse why he doesn’t want to get serious with you.
And you want to believe him. You’re trying desperately to convince yourself that’s the case. After all, you really like him. But deep down, you know that none of these are the real reason.
The real reason why he is not ready for a relationship with you…
His excuses are hardly ever the truth as to why he doesn’t want a relationship.
Most men will never tell you this, so pay close attention now.
He already has experience with relationships and has learned a number of things over the years.
For example. He knows that when he’s just starting to date a woman, everything is fun and exciting.
So he already has all the advantages of having a girlfriend.
He has somebody to have fun with, and someone to talk to after a difficult day.
In other words, his emotional need to feel loved has been satisfied. He gets sex whenever he wants, and he has someone he can share a drink with.
In fact, all of his needs are fulfilled…
But he knows that several things will change if you become his girlfriend
He knows that during the “dating period”, women will put on their best behavior, without asking for too much in return. But the moment he’s officially her man, she will start to expect things like:
- To be there for her when she needs him.
- To join her at family events.
- After a few months, the sex becomes less frequent or interesting.
- She dresses less sexy around him. (Come on, if he’s your man, you can wear sweatpants on the couch at night, right?)
- She can open up her “real” self to him. Many women are great when a man starts dating her, but in a relationship, then she starts to show her insecurity and vulnerability.
Oh, and when we men label ourselves as your man…
Then we no longer seem to be available to other women, and that goes against our deep primitive need to constantly date new women.
And we’d like to keep that option open, just in case.
“Why is he putting me through this hell of uncertainty?”
Don’t get me wrong. There are a number of reasons why men enter into a relationship with a woman. I’ll get to that in a minute.
But first, I’d like to quickly explain to you why he is doing this. I want you to understand WHY he makes you go through this hell of uncertainty.
Because here’s a funny thing.
All the disadvantages I just mentioned, also apply to you. But…
Strangely enough, you do want a relationship. How is that possible?
Because for the past 250 thousand years, women HAD TO find a man that committed to her, in order to survive.
If you became pregnant with a man and he left you, the man could live on and find another woman, but it was over for you and your future child as you wouldn’t be able to make it on your own.
That’s why women have a much deeper natural urge to commit to one good man. While he on the other hand, only fully commits if he’s 100% or 200% sure.
Here’s what it really means when he says he doesn’t want you to be exclusive with you
Okay, so he doesn’t want a relationship. At least that’s what he says. So what does he really mean?
There are 3 things it can mean:
Option 1) He likes you, but not enough for a relationship
He’s into you. However, he’s not 100% sure that you’re his best option.
He likes you enough to keep you around for the time being. But when he gets all the downsides with having a relationship as well, then he is not sure that’s what he wants.
Here are the signs he only wants a casual relationship and is not that into you
- Sometimes he treats you like his girlfriend, other times he doesn’t. One day he’s constantly texting you, then he ignores you for a few days.
- Although he’s sweet, he doesn’t seem to try very hard. He’s not nervous when you’re around.
- Even though he doesn’t want to get serious with you, he’s jealous when other men hang out with you.
- He never asks you to join him and see his family.
- When you start talking about a relationship, he doesn’t tell you “no”. But he doesn’t say “yes” either. He doesn’t want to exclude the option, but he doesn’t agree to it either.
My advice when a guy says he wants a casual relationship:
Don’t give him an ultimatum, or force him to decide. Doing so will only make him more afraid of any future demands you will put on him.
Use another fear instead, the fear of losing you.
- Be less available to him.
- Meet up with other male friends.
- Flirt with other men when he’s around.
When he feels that you will not always be there, or that he might lose you to another man, then he may realize how much he likes you.
Option 2) He doesn’t want a relationship, but just wants to sleep with you
I’ll be very honest with you:
We men do this sometimes. It’s a nasty, naked truth.
But using you for sex doesn’t mean we’re unkind to you the rest of the time. Most men are just “good men” who treat you well. Even if they use you to get laid.
You can tell from these 5 signs if he just wants to sleep with you:
- He always wants to see you after 10 pm.
- There’s often alcohol involved when you’re together.
- He doesn’t take you to places where his friends are.
- He never comes up with something you can do together (except “just” hang out).
- You hardly ever see him on Friday or Saturday nights.
These are clear signs that he has no plans of getting serious with you. Decide for yourself if that’s okay with you. If it’s not, and you want more? Leave him.
Don’t fall into these common traps:
- Thinking that he will naturally like you if you just spend enough time with him.
- Hoping he will fall in love with you, as long as you keep him sexually satisfied.
- And whatever you do, don’t fall into the friends with benefits trap.
You deserve better than that. Tell him how you feel. Ignore his twists and turns, and his mumbling.
Stop listening to him saying that he is not ready for a relationship, but likes you.
Protect yourself and your feelings.
It may hurt for a while. But sometimes it’s better to stay single, and therefore be available for a great guy when he comes along.
And just accept the fact that he doesn’t want you, and move on for the right man, who does.
Option 3) He’s in love with the attention you give him
We might let you think otherwise, and would rather cut off a finger than admit this to you, but…
We’re also insecure beings who need love and admiration.
And we do everything we can to hide this behind our macho behavior, and our big mouth. But it’s there.
And when someone is in love with us, we feel great.
This is a powerful feeling.
When other people don’t admire us like that, and there’s a woman in our life who does, then we keep her close by. Even if we don’t like her that much.
Use these 4 signs to see if he’s only dating you because of the attention you give him:
- He’s constantly looking for your confirmation. Whether you think he’s handsome, why you’re dating him, and so on.
- He shows little interest in you but talks about himself for hours.
- When you do your best for him, he’s always a little short-tempered and doesn’t return the favor. However, if you’re busy and don’t contact him, then he suddenly reaches out to you.
- He often contacts you when he has had a bad day.
- Stop being his emotional go-to person.
- Make sure you’re not always available to him.
- Let him have to make more of an effort to see you.
In doing so, he will increase his appreciation for you, and you also give him the opportunity to like you back.
The more effort a guy has to make for you, the more he will appreciate you. Maybe even so much that he suddenly wants you to be his girlfriend.
And what if he doesn’t put in the effort for you? Then it’s time to prioritize yourself first. Because this can be a strong sign that he doesn’t care at all about your relationship.
Your Mr. Right is out there…
Let me be honest with you. Sometimes it’s better to leave a man who doesn’t want the same thing as you.
But I’m not here to preach. I think you understand that by now.
My final recommendation for you:
Apply the advice I laid out for you in this article, and if he still doesn’t want to be with you, then it’s his loss.
And that brings you one step closer to finding your perfect guy.
P.S: Don’t forget to let me know how it went in the comments, or over email if you prefer to be more private.